Register for your UEI number today! Click here to learn more.

Application Checklist

Once you have determined your eligibility, gather the following required documents before beginning your application.

Program Eligibility

Required Application Materials

Business Information

Information about your business, including:

  • Legal entity name and any business DBAs (Doing Business As)
  • Owner(s) information and photo ID
  • Physical address location of business

You will also be asked to provide a written description of your business activities and the financial impact the COVID-19 public health crisis had on your business.


Eligible NAICS codes are:

  • Full Service Restaurants (722511)
  • Limited Service Restaurants (722513)
  • Breweries (312120)
  • Caterers (722320)
  • Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages) (722410)
  • Hotels (except Casino Hotels) and Motels (721110)
  • Inns, Bed and Breakfast (721191)
  • Bowling Centers (713950) (Based on funding availability)
  • Convention and Visitors Bureaus (561591) (Based on funding availability)
WA State Unified Business Identifier (UBI) Number

A UBI number is a nine-digit number that registers you with several state agencies and allows you to do business in Washington State. A state issued UBI number is sometimes called a tax registration number, a business registration number, or a business license number. 

Tribal member-owned businesses without a UBI may provide alternative business validation such as a license or registration with a federally recognized tribal nation in Washington State.

Tax Identification Number (EIN/FEIN/ITIN/SSN)

An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number (TIN/FEIN), and is used to identify a business entity. Generally, businesses need an EIN. Like a Social Security number, the EIN number is nine digits long and assigned by the federal government. The IRS uses the number to identify taxpayers who are required to file various business tax returns. The typical format is XX-XXXXXXX.

Businesses that do not have an EIN can provide an alternate tax identification number such as an ITIN/SSN.

Businesses will be required to submit a signed IRS Form W-9, Request for Taxpayer Identification and Certification.

Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) Number

Grant recipients must obtain a valid Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) number from the federal System for Awards Management (SAM) to be eligible to receive grant funds. 

For the purposes of this grant program, obtaining a Unique Entity Identifier number only is all that is necessary. This unique number is generated by and is the federal government’s system of keeping track where its money is allocated. The UEI number is free and generally quick to obtain.  

This helpful video will guide you through the process of registering for your UEI number in

Review the FAQ page for more resources and helpful information.

Valid Government-issued photo ID(s) of business owner(s)

A valid government-issued photo ID of business owner(s).

Acceptable documents include:

  • Washington state-issued driver’s license/ID card
  • U.S. Passport book or card
  • Tribal ID card, or other valid, state issued or federal issued photo ID
Gross Receipts or Sales

Gross receipts or sales are the total amounts your business or organization received from all sources during your annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses. Gross receipts or sales can generally be found on line 1 of your tax return. 

  • Businesses established before 2020 must provide documentation from 2019-2020.
  • Businesses established in 2020 need only provide documentation from 2020.

Need help finding your gross receipts? Review the FAQ page for more information.

Financial Documentation

Applicable financial documents may include one or more of the following: 

2019 and 2020 Tax Returns

  • IRS Form 1040 Schedule C (Profit and Loss statement) for Sole Proprietors
  • IRS Form 1120 for Corporations
  • IRS Form 1120S for S-Corporations
  • IRS Form 1065 for Partnerships
  • IRS Form 990 for nonprofits
  • IRS Form 1099-MISC for Independent Contractors

2019 and 2020 Quarterly Tax Returns (if applicable)

  • For businesses that started in 2019, 25% loss must be from any quarter in 2019 to the same quarter in 2020.
  • For businesses that started in 2020, 25% loss must be from the 1st Quarter of 2020 to another quarter in 2020.
Documentation for lodging establishments that experienced losses due to the eviction moratorium:
  • Documentation showing unpaid room charges to include ledgers, rent receipts etc.
  • Documentation showing costs to repair room damage
  • Documentation showing legal fees incurred

For a more detailed list and examples of documentation, please review the FAQ.

SBA’s Restaurant Revitalization Funds received (if applicable)

If you received SBA’s Restaurant Revitalization Funds, please be prepared to report the amount received.

Once you have your documents ready:

  1. Hit Apply Now: You will be directed to the program administrator’s FORWARD platform.
  2. Fill out the Prescreen Eligibility Form.
  3. Create an account: FORWARD created a video to help you create your account (you can access the video below). 
  4. Begin your application!

Create Your Account in Forward

The program administrator, FORWARD, has created a video to assist you with creating your account in the application dashboard.


There is a dedicated support team ready to help you with any quesitons you may have.

This project was awarded by the U.S. Department of Treasury. Points of view in this document are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Dept. of Treasury. Grant funds are administered by the Washington Hospitality Grant Program through the Washington State Department of Commerce.

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources deemed reliable but cannot be guaranteed as to its accuracy. 

This program is administered by the
Washington State Department of Commerce. This is a federally funded program.